Channel debuts on Telus, one of Canada’s ‘big three’ carriers, with live coverage of Canadian Championship and Canadian Premier League.
Toronto; September 22nd 2021 – OneSoccer will launch as a linear channel on Telus‘ Optik TV service today, broadening the channel’s reach to consumers across the country – just in time for soccer fans to watch live coverage of a triple-header of Quarter-final games for the Canadian Championship, Canada Soccer’s highest domestic club competition.
OneSoccer‘s 24/7 linear channel will go live on Telus’ portfolio of extended, free preview channels as HD channel 980 today (Wednesday September 22nd), as HFX Wanderers of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) take on CF Montréal of Major League Soccer (MLS) at 5pm ET, followed by Toronto FC (MLS) v York United (CPL) at 7.30pm ET and Cavalry FC (CPL) v Pacific FC (CPL) at 10pm ET in the Canadian Championship Quarter-finals.
Telus Optik customers will instantly gain access to a wide range of the best of Canadian men’s and women’s soccer through OneSoccer – fully 80% of the channel’s programming is Canadian content, and an increasing percentage covers the women’s game. Viewers will enjoy the following:
- Live coverage of the Canadian Premier League (CPL), the top division of men’s professional league soccer in Canada;
- Live coverage of the Canadian Championship, Canada Soccer’s highest domestic club competition which leads to a direct entry into the 2022 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League and an opportunity to play in the FIFA Club World Cup 2022™ The competition features the eight CPL teams along with the three Canadian teams playing in Major League Soccer (Toronto FC, CF Montréal and the Vancouver Whitecaps) and the winners of both League1 Ontario and the Première League de Soccer du Québec;
- Canada Soccer’s National Team Matches and Competitions including the Concacaf Nations League, the Concacaf Gold Cup and the recently-announced Concacaf W Championship and Concacaf W Qualifiers – which will give subscribers exclusive front-row viewing of Canada Soccer’s Gold Medal–winning Women’s National Team as they vie for a place in the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™;
- A range of international soccer content including Mexico’s LigaMX and French Ligue 1 matches featuring Canada Soccer Men’s National Team star Jonathan David’s Lille OSC;
- Live coverage of a range of Canadian soccer content through the entire soccer pyramid on both the men’s and women’s side, from Canada Soccer’s National Team home matches to semi-professional leagues;
- Extensive studio programs featuring well-known pundits and guests; weekly highlights and preview programs, including OneSoccer Today, the informative and irreverent soccer chat show hosted by well-known sports broadcaster Andi Petrillo and featuring pundits Kristian Jack and Oliver Platt.
Oscar López, CEO of MEDIAPRO Canada, said: “We are immensely excited and proud to be a part of Telus’ portfolio of channels going forward. This partnership with Telus, one of Canada’s ‘big three’ telecoms companies, will allow us to showcase the best of Canadian soccer to new and existing soccer fans across the country at a time when Canadian soccer is reaching new heights. We look forward to deepening our relationship with Telus and further igniting the passion for soccer among all Canadians, from coast to coast.”